"Attorney Roger K. Gelb is one of the area's most respected and sought-after legal minds."

-Washingtonian Magazine, July 2016

Attorney Roger K. Gelb has never had less than an AV rating, the highest attainable, and determined by peer review.

Attorney Roger K. Gelb is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, membership in which is limited to trial lawyers who have achieved a recovery in excess of $1,000,000 on a single case.

Attorney Roger K. Gelb is again recognized in 2013 as a Washington, DC area Super Lawyer. Eligibility is limited to lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.

Ranked one of the best malpractice law firms

in Washington DC, as voted

by readers of The Legal Times,

a publication of The National Law Journal.

The Washington Post Magazine writes that Mr. Gelb is recognized for "Excellence by his peers in the legal community... having an impressive record of professional achievement and ethical standards."

"DC Personal Injury attorney Roger K. Gelb is among Washington's best - most honest and effective - lawyers who sue."

-Washingtonian Magazine

Gelb & Gelb, P.C. is recognized as one of the nation's top law firms, and is listed on the Bar Register of Preeminent Law Firms.

CPSC and USFA Warn About Deadly Dangers That Can Linger After Hurricane Irene Passes


The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) are warning residents in hurricane-impacted areas about the deadly dangers that can remain even after Hurricane Irene strikes.

Consumers need to be especially careful during a loss of electrical power, as the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and fire increases at that time.

In order to power lights, to keep food cold or to cook, consumers often use gas-powered generators. CPSC and USFA warn consumers NEVER to use portable generators indoors or in garages, basements or sheds. The exhaust from generators contains high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) that can quickly incapacitate and kill.

“Don’t create your own disaster in the aftermath of a storm,” said CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum. “Never run a generator in or right next to a home. Carbon monoxide is an invisible killer. CO is odorless and colorless and it can kill you and your family in minutes.”

From 1999-2010, nearly 600 generator-related CO deaths have been reported to CPSC. CPSC is aware of an annual average of 81 deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning from generators in recent years. The majority of the deaths occurred as a result of using a generator inside a home’s living space, in the basement or in the garage.

“We know from experience as victims try to recover from disasters, they will take unnecessary risks with candles, cooking and generators. These risks often result in additional and tragic life safety consequences,” said Deputy U.S. Fire Administrator Glenn A. Gaines. “When you consider the challenges faced by firefighters and their departments to also recover from the same disasters, it is important that all of us remember even the simplest of fire safety behaviors following disasters of any type.”

Do not put your family at risk. Follow these important safety tips from CPSC and USFA in the aftermath of a storm.

Portable Generators

Never use a generator inside a home, basement, shed or garage even if doors and windows are open. Keep generators outside and far away from windows, doors and vents. Read both the label on your generator and the owner’s manual and follow the instructions. Any electrical cables you use with the generator should be free of damage and suitable for outdoor use.

Charcoal Grills and Camp Stoves

Never use charcoal grills or camp stoves indoors. Burning charcoal or a camp stove in an enclosed space can produce lethal levels of carbon monoxide. There were at least seven CO-related deaths from charcoal or charcoal grills in 2007.

CO Alarms

Install carbon monoxide alarms immediately outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home to protect against CO poisoning. Change the alarms’ batteries every year.

Electrical and Gas Safety

Stay away from any downed wires, including cable TV feeds. They may be live with deadly voltage. If you are standing in water, do not handle or operate electrical appliances. Electrical components, including circuit breakers, wiring in the walls and outlets that have been under water should not be turned on. They should be replaced unless properly inspected and tested by a qualified electrician.

Natural gas or propane valves that have been under water should be replaced. Smell and listen for leaky gas connections. If you believe there is a gas leak, immediately leave the house and leave the door(s) open. Never strike a match. Any size flame can spark an explosion. Before turning the gas back on, have the gas system checked by a professional.


Use caution with candles. If possible, use flashlights instead. If you must use candles, do not burn them on or near anything that can catch fire. Never leave burning candles unattended. Extinguish candles when you leave the room.

Consumers, fire departments and state and local health and safety agencies can download CPSC’s generator safety posters, door hangers and CO safety publications at CPSC’s CO Information Center or order free copies by contacting CPSC’s Hotline at (800) 638-2772.

Download USFA’s publications on disasters and fire safety and other safety issues at www.usfa.dhs.gov

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

Our Cases in the News

D.C. man sues Metro for $8 million after shooting on bus – Washington Post


A D.C. man has filed an $8 million lawsuit against Metro saying he suffered emotional and physical harm after being wounded when someone opened fire on a Metrobus in August.

According to the lawsuit filed in D.C. Superior Court, Earl Coates was a passenger on the W8 bus during the evening of Aug. 21, when the driver stopped to pick up a passenger on Elvans Road in southeast D.C. But no one got on the bus, which then suddenly lost power. Someone then fired a gun into the bus striking Coates twice, according to the suit. The alleged shooter then fled.

According to the suit, it’s believed that someone intentionally disabled the bus using an outside shut-off switch, designed for use by first responders in case of an emergency.

The suit alleges “negligent actions and inactions” because Metro officials knew the switches could be used to shut off a bus and because the driver did not attempt to restart the bus or aid passengers who were on board.

Metro officials declined to comment on the suit and shut-off switch Tuesday. “Due to pending litigation, we are unable to provide the information you’ve requested,” spokesman Richard Jordan said in an e-mail.

But Monday, during an event celebrating the debut of new buses on the 16th Street corridor, officials did respond to questions related to how the shut-off switch, which is a standard feature on buses in the United States and Canada, operates.

Metro officials said the switch is designed to kill the engine and battery power in the event of an electrical fire or other emergency that would require shutting down a bus. Firefighters can access the panel where the switch is located, but that easy access also has presented problems.

Metro officials said the panels have become a safety concern. It is unclear how many of the approximate 1,500 buses in Metro’s fleet are equipped with the switch. Metro officials said Monday they are considering putting locks on the panels to prevent unauthorized access to them.

Other agencies, including the New York and Chicago transit agencies have had similar problems and have fitted theirs with locks.

Once a bus has been disabled, an operator has to get out of the vehicle to turn the switch back on to restart the engine, they said.

Following the Aug. 21 incident, Metro temporarily detoured the W8 around the area where the shooting occurred, drawing complaints from D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser and others. Metro officials relented a day later and a police cruiser was temporarily stationed along the route to reassure riders.

Bijon Brown, 20, was arrested in September in connection with the shooting.

Read the original article at The Washington Post