Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The abuse or neglect of the most vulnerable members of society is reprehensible, criminal, and also a tort worthy of compensation. Like with young children, proving these claims may be, although certainly not in all instances, difficult as the testimony of the neglected or abused may be challenged because of their competency. However, there are certain telltale signs to look out for:
- weight loss which may be a result of malnutrition
- bed sores
- changes in behavior
- the overall condition of the nursing home itself
Although the above-referenced list is not exhaustive, noticing any one of these conditions may give loved-ones reason to contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss the matter in greater detail.
There are certain types of neglect or abuse that nursing home lawyers look for, including:
- failure on behalf of the nursing home to provide medical attention to their patients
- failure to provide food, water and a safe, clean environment
- failure to provide emotional and social support to the patient
- failure to keep the patient clean (washing, brushing teeth, etc.).
If you are aware of, or suspect, nursing home abuse or neglect, please contact your lawyer, Roger Gelb at once.